GARLIC HERB SOUP
From The Frugal Gourmet Whole Family Cookbook by Jeff Smith
- 2 1/2 quarts stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 large heads (whole heads) garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional, garnish)
Garlic Herb Soup @ Group Recipes
- Place the stock and herbs (rosemary through thyme) into a 4-quart stock pot. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the stock to remove the herbs and return the stock to the pot.
- In a small saucepan, place all but 2 of the peeled garlic cloves and just cover with water. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Puree the garlic and cooking water until smooth. Add to the stockpot with the white wine and bring to a simmer.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the flour to make a roux.
- Whisk the roux into the hot stock until smooth and the soup begins to thicken slightly. Crush the two reserved cloves of garlic into the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan as a garnish if you desire.
Return to recipe index
Return to Nikchick.com